Monday, March 5, 2012

Oh SNOW, you didn't!

Here in Southwestern PA, we have had a very mild winter.  After the last few years of heavy snow and storms, this weather has been refreshing but any deviation from the mild weather is annoying.  So for the first time in what seems like months, we have Snow.

Taken this morning outside of my Apartment on my way to work


The worst thing about all of this is that the forecast is calling for 65º F weather later in the week (bye bye snow!)

This was the accumulation yesterday around 2 PM EST
Snow and cold weather just inspire me to cook and bake, this weekend I made soup and a cherry pie.  I was going to make Chicken Parm for dinner but ran out of time before an event Dad and I had to go to Sunday Evening. 

My mom loved soup and usually made it during the week to have for lunch and with dinners.  I learned to cook through helping out and can now make a mean Chicken Noodle Soup.  I don't have exact measurements for this recipe but here it is anyway.

Note: Vary the ingredients to taste, that's the best part of cooking and I only know how to make soup in large quantities.

Finished Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

4 Chicken Thighs
Celery (Chopped)
Carrots (Chopped)
Onion (Chopped)
Parsley (Minced)
1 Box of Chicken Broth
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
Water
Noodles (egg, stars, alphabets)

Combine all of the ingredients and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 hours but longer is better.  Drain liquid into a separate pot and remove Chicken Thighs.  Remove meat from bone and discard bones and skin.  Return chicken meat and veggies back to the stock and put back on low heat.  Skim any fat that may accumulate.  Cook noodles according to package directions drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.  Mix into Soup.  Serve.  (Makes a lot)

Now from there I doctored it up.  I added a bouquet of Rosemary, Thyme, and Sage as well as a pierced lemon to add additional flavor while the broth was simmering. 

Stock bubbling away.
Tip:  If you want to remove herbs later, bundle them in cooking twine and leave a tail to wind around the handle of the pot.  When finished cooking, it can be removed like a tea bag.

Mirepoix of Onion, Carrot and Celery

Now the quantities of veggies are vague because it's to taste but mainly its 1 large onion, 2-4 stalks of celery and 2-4 carrots.  Depending on size.  Dad helped me with that.  He made a good Soux Chef.

Dad the Soux Chef
I also made Cherry Pie and I took pictures, but I think I am going to save that for tomorrow.  It was yummy and so you will just have to wait to see how awesome it is.

Did you have a good weekend?  What do you think about the crazy weather?

<3 Heather

2 comments:

  1. What a handsome chef! The soup looks lovely especially with your cold weather. Wrap up warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks wait til you see the picture of the front of my complex from this morning. No snow and the high is going to be in the high 40s. I hate this polar weather.

      Delete