Monday, January 30, 2012

Soup's On!

You know I worry that I will lose some creativity in titling these posts but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. :-)

I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what to talk about in the blog today.  Originally I planned to talk about anecdotes from super bowls past but I forgot to get pictures from home so look for that one on Thursday!  So today I am sharing my cooking adventures!  (Lucky you right!)

Now don't run away and not to toot my own horn but I am a pretty decent cook and baker.  It is one way I enjoy spending the weekends trying new things and of course watching the Food Network. I come by this stuff honestly and have been baking and helping in the kitchen for as long as I can remember.

Fall 1987 when I made my first pie!  It was apple.

My mom never really liked to cook but this past year while she was home recovering she would watch the Food Network all day and would call me at work telling me what we would experiment with on the weekend.  I really miss that now and want to call her when I am watching TV or see a good recipe.

Anyway, I posted last Tuesday about some apps that I love to use, but today I want to use those apps to share with you some of the recipes I stored and tried a few weeks ago.

Two weekends ago, I made Broccoli Cheddar Soup.  I love this stuff and the recipes I combined claimed it rivaled Panera Bread's Broccoli Cheddar.  (Please blame the delay on leaving my SD card in my computer, taking pictures on the camera's memory and searching a week for the camera cord.)

Doesn't this look amazing!  Tasted really good too!
 
For the actual recipes, please visit the following sites:
So the great thing about these recipes was how easy they were.  Saute butter and onions. Add flour and milk/half and half. 


Chop up the broccoli and grate the carrots (I bought the matchstick carrots but that's our secret).  Now here is where the deviation between the two recipes occurs.  The Pioneer Woman did not add carrots but I like carrots so threw them in, that's why I say the recipes are combined but really just pick one that has the starter you like and go from there.


Add the broccoli and carrots to the pot and cook until tender



Grate the cheese and add into the pot and stir until combined.  (I used White and Yellow Cheddar)



Simple, right?  Visit those sites to get your quanties, times and temps but really soup making is generally a piece of cake!  Cake mmmmm :-).

In other news, this weekend I made chicken noodle soup for my dad. I learned that recipe from my mom and next time I make it I will have to remember to take pictures.  Alas, I need to take a camera everywhere and not remember half way through that I have one on my camera.

<3 Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment