Monday, January 9, 2012

What's in a Name?

So, now that you've met me you want to know more right?  For instance what is the Amaryllis that you speak of?  Is it a favorite character from a musical? Is it an anagram of my name?  Is it in memory of a beloved pet?

Really it's none of these.  Amaryllis is a type of bulb flower typically sold in the winter months because it can bloom in doors. (thanks wikipedia!) I know this for a fact because my Great Grandmother (AKA Grandma Lily) was an avid gardener and had 4-5 of these flowers in various stages of bloom all year round.  But I know what your thinking, that really doesn't explain the name; just get to the point already.

If you insist :)

While thinking about a name for a blog/journal I was sitting in my living room/dining room staring off into space when I finally focused on the poster I have framed on the wall.


TA DA!  An Amaryllis, and there the name was born.  Not only was it an object of my mindless wandering but it also has a familial connection that made it perfect.  Later on I looked up the meaning of the flower (Did you know flowers have meanings?  Fascinating but that's another blog post) and realized this was the perfect flower for me.



THE MEANING & SYMBOLISM OF
amaryllis

Legend has it that the amaryllis - the stunning red flower we've come to associate with the holidays - began as a shy, timid nymph. Amaryllis fell deeply in love with Alteo, a shepherd with Hercules' strength and Apollo's beauty, but her affections were unrequited.  Hoping that she could win him over by bestowing upon him the thing he desired most - a flower so unique it had never existed in the world before - Amaryllis sought advice from the oracle of Delphi.
Following his instructions, Amaryllis dressed in maiden's white and appeared at Alteo's door for 30 nights, each time piercing her heart with a golden arrow.  When at last Alteo opened his door, there before him was a striking crimson flower, sprung from the blood of Amaryllis's heart.  With this romantic - albeit tragic - tale as its beginning, it's not surprising that today the amaryllis has come to symbolize pride, determination and radiant beauty. (Courtesy of teleflora.com)


 So a not only did I name this blog after a poster and my Grandma Lily's memory but the flower itself suits my personality.  Proud and determined are two of my traits that I got from all of the lovely women in my family and I can't wait to tell you more about them!

<3 Heather





4 comments:

  1. Thanks Hillery, I am very excited and have quite a few posts lined up this week alone. I am nervous about running out of material...guess I better get knitting and crocheting to fill the void :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to your new blog! I hope you come visit mine too.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teresa, I love those mountain pics. iphones take really awesome pictures and I am getting a smancy camera this week and I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete