Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's Easy Being Green

So I mentioned last week that I wanted to start a blog but couldn't decide what my theme was, really it was a combination of friends having blogs and wanting to show off my new hobby CROCHET!!!!

I wanted to put more thought and humor behind my finished objects but didn't know where to start.  I was intimidated, there are so many awesome craft and crochet blogs including my friend Samie's blog over at Not Your Grams Afghan that I didn't want to copy their awesomeness.  But being a good friend Samie pushed me to make a blog because I have a story to tell and here I am, thanks Sam!

Sam and I in Rio de Janerio, May 2007

In the spirit of my original idea, here is a story about my first project the humble green scarf.

My favorite color is Green so when trying to teach myself crochet I picked up a lovely Dusty Green from Vanna's Choice from Lion Brand Yarn and the Stitch and Bitch Crochet Book and went to town with trying to figure these loops things out.

I had some experience with crochet as Grandma Lily was an avid crocheter and made us all blankets and my mom knew a thing or two as well.  So I made my foundation chain and putzed with a few different stitches but liked the height of he Triple Crochet and set to work.

I didn't realize it at first but I was only crocheting through the back loop and was getting a wavy scarf and had done too much to even think about ripping it out and starting over.

Isn't it a pretty color!


I admit I got bored and put the scarf away and I skipped to another project of making St. Patrick's day scarves and a large granny square blanket (Posts to come of course :-) ).

An in progress picture


Then I found Ravelry back in February 2011 and wanted to have pretty finished objects to post. So I dug the green scarf out of the basket and set to work while I watched hockey (Let's Go Pens!) and finally got the scarf finished.

I love Green!  Green Couch, Green Coat, Green Scarf!


I am really proud of this thing.  It's not really pretty and it's crooked but it's done and I made it.  Such a sense of accomplishment.  Anyway, after looking at it and posing with it I realized it was too wide and I stitched the sides together and voila! the First Finished Object!  You can check out the Ravelry post here.


<3 Heather

Details also found here:

Hook - J/6.0 mm
Yarn - Vanna's Choice Dusty Green
Duration - Unknown because I worked on it intermitently
Stitch - Triple Crochet in the back loop

No comments:

Post a Comment