Friday, July 6, 2012

Finished Object Friday - LEGO Baby Blanket

This post should also be titled, Oh My Goodness, It's Done! part 2.  Seriously, this blanket that you have seen in countless WIP Wednesdays is finally done.  When I found the pattern, the author said it was a bit time consuming but I didn't realize that it would take 4 months.  Granted this blanket was not hard, just a lot of repeating blocks and lots of seaming.

I can't believe how far I have come since that first baby blanket.  I re-read that post and realized I was hinting about the LEGO blanket even then.  In general, that feeling of accomplishment is pretty addicting.and I hope to get the other blankets I have in the works done.

Well for the final review, Here is the LEGO Blanket.

The Whole Blanket


I used the LEGO Baby Blanket Pattern from All Things Bright and Beautiful.  I found this blanket on Pinterest and fell so madly in love with it, I knew I had to make it.

My Pinterest Knitting and Crochet Board
So when I started it I chose similar colors from the pattern but switched the stone color for a green.  I used Lion Brand Cotton ease in, Snow, Maize, Lime, Turquoise and Cherry.

Of which, I used about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 Skeins of each color to make the 9X9 rectangle blanket.

Close up of the Boarder

81 Rectangles later, I used a half double crochet stitch to join the blocks.  The boarder is another area that I deviated from the pattern.  I did a round of half double crochet and then a round of double crochet in white.  Then  I did a reverse single crochet in Maize to finish the boarder.  I love this finishing touch because it frames the colors and is very appropriate for a little boy.

So what do you think?  Does it look like LEGOs?

The blanket is really heavy but in a good way!

It looks so nice all folded up!


Even the back is lovely!
I am so happy it's done and I can share it with all of you!

Check out more Finished Objects at Tami's Amis!
<3 Heather

Details:

For more detailed about the progress and a ton of pictures visit my project page on ravelry

Patten - LEGO Baby Blanket here is etsy site from the author
Crochet Hook - Size G/4.0mm may need to adjust to get gauge
Yarn -  Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Cherry, Lime, Maise, and Turquiose
Duration - 4 months
Size - 9 rectangles by 9 rectangles or 81 blocks
Gauge - You need to ensure there are no gaps in the rectangle,

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've been looking so much forward to seeing this finished. It is absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for staying tuned to check out the finished project. I am really proud of it.

      Delete
  2. I love it! And you are right, even the back is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the back is my favorite part!

      Delete
  3. Yes it took four months, but just look at it! That is one beautiful (and adorable) blanket and is so completely worth it that I cannot believe it! I'll missing seeing it as a WIP, but I'm sure that you are relieved to finally have it finished! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes definitely relieved but so happy to have a finished product!

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I love the border you used. And isn't it the best feeling to finish something that takes so long! Thanks for linking back to me. Your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andrea, I am so happy that you like it.

      Delete
  5. It definitely looks like LEGO. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh I've been waiting for this !!!

    Awesome work and the back looks great too. I love the finishing touches, very suitable for this blanket.

    And yes, it does look like LEGO and I should know ;)
    Congratulations on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just started to do this, wish me luck. Baby is due in nov.

    ReplyDelete